Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Colonial Women, and their Colonial Activities

Hello peoples! If you wish to get the most out of this blog post, you may want to skim my sources a bit. Most of them say things you already know, because it was the usual as far as women go: be modest, take care of the home, be a good wife (or a Goodwife). Republican motherhood is new, and might throw you for a loop, but don't worry! It's a simple concept which I will explain.

Women were often burdened down with clothing, as we shall soon see. I would ask for no comments about the first picture, but seeing as we are all hooligans, I’m not going to demand it.

This is a pretty awesome website indeed. Look through the pictures in this link, they're great. Roll over the articles of clothing to hear about them.

http://www.americancenturies.mass.edu/activities/dressup/1770_woman.html


My oh my! People didn’t make those clothes did they? What about WalMart?

Everybody helped make clothing, even boys and men.

What a sweet little colonial couple we have here! Look at that beautiful young lady! I bet she'll make a good wife. Hmm? a Goodwife, you say? Why, of course! In fact, that’s what we’ll call her, because that is the most important thing about her.

http://www.helium.com/items/361484-Colonial-Early-American

http://www.shireattire.com/Wedding.html



Women sewing at the Geddy House
As usual, women had a great deal of “homework” to do.
Image 06
A “republican mother”? Why, I have never heard of such! Educating women to educate their children as little models of virtue, eh? Sounds like a good way to increase women’s rights without anybody really realizing it.

Alright, here we go. Republican motherhood arose as an ideal after the new nation was formed. Women were given education, at least to some degree, because they were the ones who would be educating the next generation of "virtuous citizens" in the new American Republic. Women had to be educated so that they could educate their sons to be good voters.
A quilting bee! What a blast! We’ll all have lots of fun at this incredibly important colonial social gathering.

People really came together for this, men and women alike. They were often followed by square dances and other activities of general merriment, so people had fun while they got things done. And yes, that is a fantastic rhyme.


Hominy making
Hominy yummm…
This is what was for dinner for most of the people in the colonies. Richer folk in the more English areas had English food to eat, and they had either cooks or slaves to make it for them. The majority of people lived day to day and ate things like this, cooked together with salted pork and such by the lady of the home.

17 comments:

  1. My favorite part about your post is that it is quick and sticks. (A rhyme! I've been working on my post too much...you'll understand when you read it...) Yours is similar to Brenna's in that it profiles the various tasks women performed during the Revolution, however, you tackled the overarching jobs, rather than discussing specific women. However, I thank you, because I can attest strongly to the fact that I often miss the questions about women on the tests, so a reminder is most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa that was crazy :( I absolutely DIDN'T remove that post! Ah. Well here I go again. I really liked how memorable your post was. As Matthew so articulately put, it sticks. I will forever remember the Republican (homeschooling) Mother. As well as that adorable little goodwife! And how much I do not want to eat hominy, which looks like maggots. I think my mental picture on women during the Revolution is much more complete now, which was the point. You have accomplished your task! Thank You! Also, as I am a hooligan, I will comment on the first picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I always look forward to your posts. Like Matthew and Maria said it was straight to the point but it is comprehensive. I feel comfortable with this for the test on Monday. "I AM READY!"-Spongebob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, loved the humor. A quilting bee, classic. The fassion is totally like today's, eh? I liked the picture aboot.. well i liked all pictures and your reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, in response to Maria, I actually like hominy but I have to agree with her, that hominy looks decidedly unappetizing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What ever was in that bowl towards the end looked like it needed to be put in a biohazard container and burned until there is no more.

    Other than that this post was good. I could use a bit more information though. A quilting bee sounds fun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, a fresh, amusing perspective of some common colonial traits! Again we see that women contributed just as much to that society as the men. Nicely done, Anna, and thanks for the source links- a little supplementary reading never hurt anybody!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is so unappetizing about hominy?? Come on you guys, it'd be alright with some pork in it and some veggies. Look, heres some better looking hominy.

    http://tinyurl.com/2g64c72

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Anna I didn't mean hominy in general, just...that hominy looks decidedly bland. I mean, I love hominy, but not all by itself! I agree with you, in that you have to spice up your hominy a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homeschooling!..... *cough* Ahem! Anyways I enjoyed as usual someone trying to make fun out of something not so fun and doing so. Also these pictures remind me of that reenactment thing downtown that I used to work in....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hominy? Yummm is right. This reminds me of the Constitution Village, as Brendan mentioned. This is supplemental to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would loveeee to get me some of that hominy stuff... and that tennis player... Wait what? haha anyways, pretty awesome post, and i definetly think we should go for a quilting bee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is that in the bowl!!! It looks like something we fed our dog when it was sick and not eating. I agree with George's idea of the biohaz container.

    Food aside the post is good and the pictures and witty comments on them are great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone in those pictures has a cool hat. I want one.
    Anyways, good post! I also don't think I could eat the hominy. It looks like it might eat me. And my Republican mother educated me not to eat anything that looks as such.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodwife. Wow.. that's actually really clever. I applaud the tenacious inner workings of your cerebrum. Ha, dang I'm still giggling about that (giggle, giggle). Anyway, who's the dude in short shorts?! Nevermind, don't answer. Nicely crafted blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm... that's a thought that I hadn't considered... the education of children back at home while the guys were out fighting for liberty and rights.

    ReplyDelete